25 Mar Music and High School Basketball State Championships
Two things I have loved since I was a small child; live music and High School Basketball. Let’s start with basketball at my favorite venue in the state, The Breslin Center. It all got kicked off, I know wrong sport, on Thursday with the Class C and D teams Semi final rounds with Friday’s games being the Class A and B teams.
- Flint Beecher 76 – Detroit Edison 68
- Grand Rapids Covenant Christian 62 – Manton 35
- Powers North Central 84 – Southfield Christian 83 (2 OT)
- Buckley 68 – Lansing Christian 61
- Clarkston 78 – West Bloomfield 35
- Grand Rapids Christian 74 – Romulus 52
- New Haven 78 – Benton Harbor 49
- Ludington 51 – River Rouge 50 (OT)
This setup a great Saturday Finals with games in the following order
- Class D: Powers North Central vs. Buckley at 10;00AM
- Class A: Grand Rapids Christian vs. Clarkston at Noon
- Class C: Grand Rapids Covenant vs. Flint Beecher at 4:30PM
- Class B: Ludington vs. New Haven at 6:30PM
GR Christian Eagles are playing in their first State Championship and come in to the game undefeated against the Clarkston Wolves who are 26-1 with their only loss going to Southfield A&T in a close one that ended 64-60. The Romulus head coach Jerret Smith compared The Eagles team to a freight train after they blew out his squad in the second half. Romulus had a slim one point lead entering the 3rd quarter, but GR Christian outscored them in the quarter 24-8, with a final score of 74-52. Christian has several players that will play on the next level lead by seniors Xavier Tillman, who will be playing for Izzo at MSU and James Beck who will play for the Oakland Golden Grizzlies under coach Kampe. Clarkston is led by point guard Foster Loyer who has committed to play for Michigan State after he finishes his high school career at Clarkston, under long time coach Dan Fife (30 years), father of Dane Fife. Dane Fife played at Indiana a few years after Foster’s mother was a star on the Hossiers volleyball team.
Both Powers North Central and Flint Beecher are looking for Three-Peats this year after capturing the state title the past two years. Beecher has actually won four out of the last five Class C state titles and has the AP Class C player of the year Malik Ellison leading them. A couple of the younger guys to keep your eyes on the next few years are sophomore Romeo Weems who plays for the undefeated New Haven squad and freshman sensation Carlos Johnson who plays for Benton Harbor. Romeo already has received an offer from Legendary coach Izzo and being a Spartan grad, I would love ot see both guys suiting up at The Breslin Center during their college career.
As always, the weekend will be a special time for these athletes and their families and will bring memories that will last their lifetime. High School sports are such an incredible time in a student athletes life, heck I still remember my days playing High School baseball for the Ottawa Hills Indians and our time in the tournaments.
After watching basketball in the day, a great encore is listening to a local act at your one of your favorite watering holes. I have a pretty eclectic selection of music on my Iphone, but nothing is better than listening to a band that can harmonize with the best of them and delivery incredible riffs on their acoustic ax. If that is something you would like to experience, check out Natchez Trace this Saturday evening at One Trick Pony. The band consists of Ronnie Burke, Steve Damstra and Robin Spring. They feature covers from the Beatles, Badfinger, Fleetwood Mac, Crosby Stills Nash, Johnny Cash and more.
Other Acts to catch this weekend
- Chase Bryant, with special guest River Melcher and featuring DJ Jay Vee at The Intersection – Sat. March 25
- Minnesata, with special guests Champagne Drip and Stratz at Stache – Sat March 25
- Grand Rapids Symphony – Holiday Pops at DeVos Place Cnevention Center – Sat March 25
- Slightly Stoopid at 20 Monroe Live – Sat. March 25
- Tania Chantzi at Saugatuck Center for the Arts – Sat. March 25th
- The Right Now, with Madelyn Grant at Founders Brewing Co.- Sat. March 25
- The Marcus King Band at Bell’s Eccentric Cafe – Sat. March 25
- Last of the Easy Riders at The Avenue – Sat March 25
- Black Stone Cherry with Caleb Johnson and Through Fire at The Intersection – Sun, March 26
- Banda MS at the Delta Plex – Sun March 26
- Adam Gontier at Planet Live Music Factory – Sun. March 26
- The Rough & Tumble at Louie’s Trophy House Grill – Sun, March 26
We’re here every weekend folks, try the veal and tip the waitress kindly.